Friday, June 12, 2009


Joseph Hughes Newton (26 April 1905, Kentucky -15 March 1984, Glen Ellyn, Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois) was the son of Charles Newton and Mildred Hughes. I have no biography on this Newton cousin, other than what I have recently found on the internet.

Tullus is the fictional hero of an American comic strip that was created by Joseph Hughes Newton. It began December 26, 1943, appearing in three David C. Cook's Sunday School papers What to Do, Boys' World and Girls' Companion, all three subsequently being merged into Sunday PIX. Other artists later contributed to the strip.

Tullus was about a young Roman Christian in the first century, and had many adventures throughout the ancient world, visiting Asia Minor, Greece, and Rome.

Six collections of the Tullus comics have been made into paperback books:

  • Tullus and the Monsters of the Deep
  • Tullus and the Dark City
  • Tullus and the Ransom Gold
  • Tullus and the Vandals of the North
  • Tullus in the Deadly Whirlpool
  • Tullus and the Kidnapped Prince

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg!

    My name is Greg Fairbank. My mom is Sally Hughes Newton, daughter of Joe Newton, creator of "Tullus". I guess that means you and I are family.

    For Christmas this year I made my each member of my family their family tree, going back as far as I could. I didn't get much information on the Newton's, but in searching for said info I stumbled across your website. If you'd like a bit more info on the Newton side of the family, please email me and I'd be happy to share!

    My email is gregfairbank@gmail.com

    Kind regards,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete