Friday, March 14, 2008

W. S. Hutt Whiskey Jug

Little Rock, Arkansas. After the Civil War the Hutt Family had a wholesale grocery that sold a little bit of everything. Including whiskey.

Which brings us to this little 3 inch tall jug that I bought on eBay from a antiquarian (nee junk dealer) living just North of Little Rock. When he first found it, the surface had been painted over with tacky colorful flowers. The dealer cleaned off the paint and found the advertising pictured here.
"Compliments of W. S. Hutt & Co. Main St."
Little did he know that William S. Hutt had his store on Main Street in downtown Little Rock. Lucky for me! Had the town been known, I doubt I would have been able to buy it as cheaply as I did. But there was no way I was gonna let this thing slip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment